Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Ugly Cry

So..........last night was the sports banquet. Since my husband is the athletic director he pretty much does the entire line-up for the evening. He introduces all the coaches and talks about the job they have done. Then they go through and recognize each team, announce who was on those teams, and give special awards.

I was sailing through, laughing at some of the kids (since we sit on the stage and get to see all 200 people in the CLC gym). When it came time for the football part Honey surprised me. Before he got started on the team he said he wanted to say a few words about a special woman in his life. Immediately my eyes hit my lap and I tried to hold in the tears. No way that was happening. If you ever watch Oprah, you know what I'm talking about when I say I was trying to keep from ugly crying.

The last time Honey did anything like that was at the rehearsal dinner for our wedding 7 years ago. Who is not going to get emotional when he looks directly into your eyes and says "I love you" in front of 200 people? He went on about how supportive I am and all that I do for him and our three kids. And that living with him can't be easy. He said he never tells me enough that he loves me and right there he said it. Huge applause. Even a picture for the newspaper.

So there I was. Hair pulled up, lookin' really cute in my brand new skirt, thinking to myself "DON'T UGLY CRY!!! DON'T YOU DARE UGLY CRY!", and knowing the whole time these teenage boys are thinking am I ever going to get my award? Oh, well. That was the award of a lifetime for me.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That was so sweet of him! Tears are allowed, but the ugly cry is so hard to recover from! I'm proud of him for recognizing that he couldn't do his job as well without you!

Anyway! I can't wait for school to be over! Two and a half more days!