Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Katy Way

Since I have moved to Katy I have had several people tell me they do things "The Katy Way". This really comes from teachers. Katy ISD, as I am finding out slowly, does have their own way. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Today I attended KMAC training. This is the district's online curriculum/lesson plan system. I want to start out by saying IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!! We spent days last summer at Garrison trying put together a curriculum. Or as Jo lovingly calls it, reinventing the wheel. In KMAC, Katy ISD teachers log in, enter a profile which includes what grade and/or content area. You are able to access the objectives that should be covered each six week period. So to make your lesson plan, you choose the objective, look for resources (not just a textbook or worksheets teachers!). YES!!! They even list all the resources available for that objective appropriate to your grade level with a link directly to it just so you can check it out or show it on the big screen to your students. That was most impressive to me. The second impressive thing was the structures (how your classroom/students should be set up) and the strategies (mindstreaming, think, pair, share). It gives you a complete list with definitions and examples of each of these things. All you have to come up with on your own is the actual activity to do with the structure and the strategy. You can even share lessons with others, not only throughout your grade level and school, but through the whole district.

I know most of you don't care about this, but to a teacher it is very important to have these tools available FINALLY!!! I know Katy isn't the only place that has things set up this way, but it is the first place that I have been that does it this way. I am excited about using it and seeing how effective it is. It makes me happy to be a part of "The Katy Way".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the best thing about working for such a BIG district...it is all put together for you and you just use ALL of thier resources-Les

Amanda said...

No kidding! This info will amaze my friends who have always been at Garrison.

Michelle said...

I am completely jealous! I wonder if I'll have some mind blowing cool thing to report about on my new job! :)

I'm glad you're back online, since I know you're more than ten minutes away now. I miss you!

Amanda said...

Missing you too, girl! How is the belly???