Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Big Day

Today was the day I have been waiting for since the first day of school. Today was TAKS Writing. For those of you who read my blog and don't know what that is, I will break it down for you:

It is the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills. Kids from 3rd-11th grade take the test. It is like the Stanford 9 that we took in school, only with about 90 times more pressure. Beginning in 3rd grade, all students must pass the reading portion to go on to the next grade level. They are tested in reading and math only. In fourth grade, they take writing, reading, and math Today was the writing. Reading and math will be in May.). They don't have to pass anything to go on (so says the great state of Texas). In 5th grade, they take reading, math, and science. They must pass reading and math to go on to 6th grade. I have seen many kids get held back because they couldn't pass it in the three times they were allotted. Anyway...

Today was the true test to see if my kids were paying attention during all the days of writing and craft lessons, flow chart making, webbing, and the other strategies that I drilled them on since late August. The test is two parts. The revising and editing part is not all that hard, but it is challenging for a 4th grader. I have several every year that either make a perfect score on that part or only miss one or two. There is only 28 questions so it shouldn't really take that long. The written composition, however, could take them quite a while, IF they follow everything. With that being said, you can probably guess how MAD I was when I had three who thought they were completely done with that part in LESS THAN 30 MINUTES!!! That's right! LESS THAN!!! It is also probably needless for me to say that I refused to take their test up at that time. Give me a break! You cannot make a plan for writing AND write a perfect paper in less than 30 minutes. Not even a full thirty minutes.

I think they did well and hope that my scores reflect my hard work and that of the students. Now I have 2 months to prepare for the reading test!

2 comments:

Blessings All Mine said...

Oh, the memories of Mrs. Cathey reading the test instructions to us in the 6th grade. LOL. I'm sure your kiddos did great! Hey...maybe you'll get a raise if all your kids pass!

Amanda said...

Doesn't it remind you?? Oh, so vivid! Now I am the one with the book and having to read the instructions word for word! OH THE POWER! HA!