Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Little Case of Stolen Identity

When I checked my bank account online yesterday I was shocked. A purchase had been made for $863.84. It was to AT&T. To make a really long story short, someone managed to use my husband's debit card number to make the purchase. My assumption is that is for new cell phones. AT&T is doing an investigation into the matter, but after my 5 phone call to them yesterday, I found a girl who was really helpful. She tracked both of our cards and cannot find any transaction history for anything through AT&T. I also have a dispute through my bank for the amount. I will get the money back into my account within 5 business days (so we may be looking at Friday!), however, if they find out in the investigation that it was really one of us, it will be taken right back out.

When I FINALLY talked to someone on the phone from Washington Mutual last night (they contacted Ritchie and he had to call them back because the transaction was suspicious.), the lady was very helpful and says that she can't see any reason why it won't be cleared up. She made a note of EVERY SINGLE THING I told her and read it back to me. AT&T made a note of everything and have records of every time I called yesterday. I have to make another call to them before 9 a.m. Monday.

It is sooooo crazy! He has had possession of his card at all times and has been in Abilene since Wednesday. The transaction was posted to our account yesterday. There are so many ways these things can be done, but I am convinced it was from paying at the gas pump. I saw a news story on that one. I am sure I won't ever really know the truth, but as long as I get my money back I will be happy and will take extra precautions from now on. I suggest you do the same!

*NOTE: I did some more PI work yesterday and talked to someone in an AT&T store. I asked about the series of numbers that were with the transaction description. Come to find out, that is the store number and he was able to use his computer in the store to tell me which store the transaction was made in. I called the actual store, but they were not able to give me any additional information other than to confirm that they are store K915. The store is down by Rice University. I am getting closer!

2 comments:

Blessings All Mine said...

Grab a flashlight, and I'll call you CSI: Amanda! This is one of my worst fears, really. Maybe nobody stole the card number, but entered in the wrong one by mistake? Either way, hope you get your money back and it never happens again!

Amanda said...

Today AT&T was able to tell me that an actual card was used, so some pro was at work in this case. They also told me that they bought two I Phones. We are filing a police report today!