Thursday, June 05, 2008

Reid's 6th Birthday

Reid turned 6 yesterday. Here is his birth story.
On Monday, June 3, 2002, I went to my weekly doctor's appointment. Dr. Thompson said that the baby was going to be pretty big and even though my due date wasn't until the 9th, he wanted to go ahead and induce labor. He had already used his spots for the next day and I could choose between the 5th and 6th. I really didn't want the 5th because that is our anniversary and I didn't want to wait until the 6th. I was ready for him to get here! I chose Wednesday, the 5th.

I was very disappointed when I left that day. Almost depressed. I was ready to get that baby out! My mom was there already. She had too far to drive if I went into labor and was going to stay with us after the baby came home. Ritchie went on to the fieldhouse to mow the football field. I had put some peas on the stove, getting ready for dinner. I got up about 6:00 to check the peas and as I raised the spoon to my mouth, I felt warm water running down my leg. My first thought was I was peeing on myself. I had to go to the bathroom and was about to do that after I tasted the peas. I can still remember it so clearly. "Mom! Either I am peeing on myself or my water just broke!"

We couldn't get Ritchie on the phone and she had to drive to the football field to get him. As I waited, I stood on a towel in the kitchen not really knowing what to do. Ritchie didn't know either! He comes running through the back door and says, "WHAT DO I DO??? WHAT DO I DO???" I had him call the hospital. He drove 90 miles an hour to the hospital. We got there just after 7:00.

After I got all settled in, the doctor comes in. It was not my doctor. I was not a fan of that. I wanted my own doctor! This was my first baby and I wanted my own doctor. Luckily, Dr. Thompson came in around 10:00 that night and promised he would stay to deliver. Around 2:30 I started pushing and an hour later the time had arrived. Reid Michael made his appearance (face-up) at 3:33 a.m. on June 4, 2002. We took him home on our 3 year anniversary. What a great gift that was!
4:00 a.m. on June 4th. Happy Birthday, Reid!
Reid's first birthday. We had a Sesame Street Birthday, completed by the little elmo cake for him.
Reid at 2 years old. We were visiting my parents.
Reid at 3 years old. It is amazing to me how much Landon looks like him!
Reid's 4th birthday party. This was a swimming/Spiderman party.
Reid at 5 years old. This was taken at VBS last summer.
All of us at Schlitterbahn for Reid's 6th birthday, June 4, 2008. We had a great time floating down the lazy river, going down the rapids, and sliding down the big slides. It should be a birthday he never forgets! I know I won't! Happy Birthday, Reid! We love you very much!




2 comments:

McFarland Family said...

Happy birthday Reid...I can not believe that he is already 6!!!

Blessings All Mine said...

Reid looks just like your dad in his 5 year old picture! Happy Birthday! Love the birth story!