Thursday, March 09, 2006

Good Times

I am back from my trip! I had a good time and finally got to see Austin. NO, I have never been to Austin. I am from Arkansas, remember?

Tuesday when we arrived in Bastrop, we checked into our hotel and in 1/2 an hour were off to Austin for dinner. The male we were with new pretty much where he was going so we didn't have a hard time finding a good place to eat. We went to the Italian Tree House and ate out on the patio. The scenery was beautiful and the food was good. I am so glad the weather was warm! When we left there he said he had a place he wanted to take us. We ended up in an alley downtown at a place called Speakeasy. It was so cool! We went to the rooftop terrace. It was fantastic! Instead of tables and chairs, there were what I would consider couches. There were big pillows on the back and just crates with candles for tables. It was a little breezy and cool, but not so much that I froze. I was glad it was a Tuesday and not so busy. Ritchie and I plan on going back there when it is little more lively and a band actually playing downstairs.

You know teachers.........We left at 9:45!

We had to be at the Bastrop Administration building by 8:30 the next morning to meet with a lady about the hand-held computers we were there to look at. Can I just say how cool those little things are!!!???? I was totally amazed! When we got to the school at 9:45 I really got to see how those babies worked. Boy do they work! The kids knew exactly what to do and it almost erases the need of pencil and paper. Instead of using a worksheet to do social studies, one teacher had made up her own questions for the lesson, "beamed" it to the students' palm pilots and they used their tiny keyboards to answer the questions. No copying, no pencils to be sharpened, no paper to turn in or lose. The teacher can print out the assignment, or they can grade it just by going through the answers on the child's palm pilot. I was definitely sold on them!

All in all, the trip was good, but I was glad to be back in my own bed last night.

No comments: